Saturday 1 October 2016

The Oldest Juvenile Delinquent


Next Tuesday BH is off on his annual Italian jaunt. This time he will be accompanied for the first week by You must be mad and the two grandchildren. They have rented a villa near the beach at Bari. No, don't ask why I'm not going. It's complicated and involves sleeping in my own bed and sundry other small things that are insignificant to people like you but are big things to people like me.

As a rule of thumb, whenever BH leaves, various mechanical devices in the house see it as their opportunity to break down or fall apart, so I have mixed feelings and a roll of gaffer tape ready for his departure. I have also alerted a few responsible friends on Twitter to stop me getting into cyber-trouble. Good luck with that, responsible friends.

Last week marked a milestone in the life of Little G Books with the first publication of Murder & Mayhem, the 4th book in the Stride & Cully series. It has been a bit of a personal triumph as we managed to write/edit, and then produce both book and ebook entirely on our own. For Death & Dominion, we had a lot of help and advice. The time before that, books came out via a small independent publisher.

If you are now expecting a blog on the merits of mainstream/indie/self publishing, look away. Been there, written those. Suffice it to say, it is very satisfying to have the reins of control firmly in my cold little Reynauds fists. Am currently working on the 5th book.  Hopefully the lessons learned will enable us to publish it with even less hassle next year.

Not that I am to be trusted with anything, it appears. Popped into local supermarket to buy some sparklers for upcoming Bonfire Night celebrations. Approaching the fireworks counter, I was informed by the assistant that I had to complete my shopping before I could buy them. Asked why ~ and was told that it was a safety precaution to prevent youngsters from setting them off in the store. I pointed out that I was in possession of a bus pass but it made no difference, which only goes to prove that I am potentially the oldest juvenile delinquent on the block.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

8 comments:

  1. Well then Carol, juvenile delinquent are you? We may have to coin a new term for that category! I hope I'm one of the responsible adults keeping you on the straight and narrow but I wouldn't gamble the grandchildren on it 😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the quiet, Carol - there are huge pluses to being on your own, though a sense of humour is essential when things go wrong. I do recall pruning a large shrub, a branch falling off and pinning me inside it, and me wondering who was going to knock on the front door and, when there was no reply, think maybe he/she should find a way into the garden - not straightforward in a terraced house - just in case I'd been assaulted by a shrub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall falling downstairs 2 years ago, carrying the hoover, and lying in the hallway, winded, with a twisted ankle, thinking...this may be how I am going to die....

      Delete
  3. You got THE CAT with you. Nothing bad can happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless the cat goes awol, as she did last year ...

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the peace and quiet, Carol and I hope those responsible cyber friends of yours don't try too hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite what you say, Carol, I am in awe of you as both a writer and a person! Reading about your life always makes mine seem very boring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wonderful! I shall be ordering my copy as a paperback very shortly. I think I'll also be ordering paperbacks of the previous two as well as I want the full collection. Hats off for combining and completing the whole process, and yes! Isn't it satisfying? I love the idea of your being irresponsible enough to duck behind the aisles and set off sparklers. My imagination is having a ball!

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.