Monday 28 September 2015

Ant! (Adventures of L-Plate Gran)


Until You must be mad entrusted Little G into my unreliable care, I had forgotten how funny small children could be. The baby is now 19 months old and is developing her own sense of humour. I think she could easily do stand up - though in her case it would currently have to be sit-down.

Much of the humour comes from seeing what makes me laugh and then repeating it - on the basis that if it made me laugh the first time, then the same must be true for the second, third, fourth and beyond times. OK, maybe not, but it is the altruistic desire to amuse that counts. And she doesn't get a repeat fee.

One of the things Little G finds very amusing comes into the category of  Winding up Grandma.  'Yellow spoon,' she says, handing me the blue spoon. 'No, that's blue,' I say. 'YELLOW spoon,' she chortles. I correct her. 'Yellow spoon!' she crows, eyeing me devilishly.

Much mirth is also derived from shouting obscure words  'Ant!' she yells at the top of her voice as we are making our way to the bus stop. She then collapses into howls of laughter. 'Ant?' I repeated, slightly puzzled. 'Ant!' she shouted triumphantly. She can keep this up for ages, if I unwittingly play along.

I am reminded, as I am regularly bested by a small cherubic infant with a left-field sense of the absurd that rivals Kafka, that all brilliant comedians and trenchant observers of the human condition must start somewhere. And when in the fullness of time Little G makes her debut at the Edinburgh Fringe, I will be sitting in the front row of the audience, bursting with pride. I may even shout 'Ant!' every now and then. Just for old times' sake.


To be continued ...     .....


8 comments:

  1. I love these Little-G updates :)
    I wonder what she'd do if you were to hand her the blue spoon and announce "yellow spoon"...be interesting to see if she corrected you in mock Grandma tone.
    As for 'Ant', she (I assume in her buggy on the way to the bus stop) is a lot closer to the ground than Grandma... so quite possible she did see an Ant... what I want to know is what 'Ant' might have been doing to send her into fits of giggles.
    Ah, the minds of babes...wouldn't we like to step in for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would....it's like cats ..you KNOW they don't know the words, but they can still work it out...

      Delete
  2. Haha! I love that attitude of 'I found something that works & I'm sticking with it that they have! Little G could put on a great show with The Toddler or The Baby in fact. She could engage in a bit of announcing the wrong colour for everything hilarity with The Toddler, before progressing to a 'duck' v 'ant' shout off with The Baby! I love the idea of going & yelling the random things they yelled at them when they're famous - genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly..I do this regularly with Daughter...it's pay Back time! You have this to look forward to.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely precious! I was howling with laughter all the way through. Thank you for brightening an otherwise grey day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine you look forward to your day with Little G every week. She's an endless source of entertainment! What a sense of humour she's already displaying…like Kimmie, I just love these updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww..thanks Val...I never know what I am going to write about...and then something happens...

      Delete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.