Monday 30 March 2015

The Adventures of L-Plate Gran: Intimations of Mortality


There is nothing like taking charge of a small baby to remind you that you are not immortal. From the moment Little G was placed in my inadequate care by You must be mad, I have had a cold, accompanied by a cough, occasionally joined by a sore throat and a hoarse voice.

Little G has the same, so we cough and splutter our way around town, occasionally stopping to share a fag (no, really - we don't). After a few weeks of this and with no sign of improvement, I plucked up courage and made a doctor's appointment. Relieved to be told I do not have lung cancer (never Google your symptoms), but surprised to be told instead that I have succumbed to 'pediatric germs'.

Apparently whatever Little G picks up in nursery she brings back and distributes generously amongst her nearest and dearest. Which also explains why You must be mad has the same thing. Our delicate immune systems are not ready for the nappy'd bugs currently attacking them. Thus we are ill. All of us. All of the time.

Once Little G develops her own immunity, and the weather becomes warmer and drier, we will be better, I was told. My quite reasonable request for a prescription for a 3 week family holiday in Tuscany was turned down. You just can't get anything on the NHS nowadays.

To be continued ...  ...

20 comments:

  1. As Libby Purves once wrote in one of her (excellent) books on parenting: "Looking after small children, especially when they start mixing freely with other small children, is like crossing a fever-laden swamp. The bugs they bring home turn out to be mild for them, but very nasty for adults."

    The phenomenon is nothing new, but this is the first time I've head it given an official medical title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're all better soon. Like you say, it's a case of building up the immunity and waiting for warmer weather. *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I suppose that makes sense...apart from the lack of a holiday via prescription. That doesn't make sense at all. Perhaps you should have asked for a destination which included miraculous waters...like the pub, maybe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, get well soon, perhaps the change of air will help you all, have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they ever let me have a passport ( see prev posts) we might all get away for the summer! Not holding breath.

      Delete
  5. Just thin, you've got chickenpox, scarletina etc etc to come ... stock up on tissues and chocolate. Both essential for getting through snotty days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How mean of the doctor not to prescribe that three week recuperation in Tuscany. I don't know…these cutbacks…sniff. With a bit of luck Little G will develop some good anti-bodies, which she will also hopefully distribute….get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too. I've had 'the virus' from grandson's nursery since the beginning of February, and so has he. We watch a lot of CBeebies on my babysitting days! Hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...how utterly unreasonable of the NHS!.. I espy an electioneering opening for some quick parliamentary candidate there... get well-er soon-er , m’Lady, Carol :):) ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine why the holiday in Tuscany was turned down. Sounds like the perfect cure to me. Maybe you need a second opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love It! 'Pediatric germs' , as if she doesn't have enough on her "report card", now shes a parasite! Poor wee toot with a complex!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Further to the bugs being much worse for adults, when our sons (then at primary school) caught chicken pox, Better Half (who had never had it as a child) also got it. He had two weeks off work, and for the first week he was confiined to bed. It's a good thing I didn't get it too - a mother gets no time off, even when she is ill

    ReplyDelete
  12. As your holiday in Tuscany was turned down, I'd recommend downing a glass of wine (or two) after Little G has gone home to kill off all those nasty bugs. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I work in a preschool and have one of the most robust immunes systems imaginable. Come the nuclear holocaust (or whatever other stupid human activity wipes us out), there will be just preschool workers and cockroaches left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...and teachers who have survived the winter term.

      Delete
  14. I remember this so well from when my own were little. Every little bug doing the rounds out in the community would be brought home to share. I do feel for you Carol and hope your immunity soon build up. People tell me that Echinacea stuff is good for fighting off 'things' as well as Rescue Remedy I think?

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.