Saturday 26 October 2013

Don't Do Anything Rash

A challenging week at Hedges Towers. I mentioned in my previous post how BH's absence had triggered a whole raft of small problems. The situation ongoes. On Saturday night, after a lovely day in London with DD, I developed a very extreme allergic reaction to something I ate and came out in huge itchy red blotches. In deference to the presence of small children, family pets and the fact that you might be eating breakfast, I shall not post a picture.

Suffice it to say that last time I had this, it was traceable to a new soap. This time, who knows. The night wore on, the itchy patches formed, re-formed, itched and wondered round various parts of my body like unwelcome visitors who had outstayed their welcome but refuse to depart. At 3 am, I ran out of E45 cream and decided that I was probably going to spend the rest of my life in a small jam jar on the mantelpiece. Such are the thoughts that strike in the desperate and itchy small hours.

A visit to the internet informed me that these extreme allergic incidents can be exacerbated by stress - which is logical, and I could see how that worked, but it is very difficult NOT to be stressed when you are lying awake, resisting the urge to scratch. Other symptoms developed over the next few days. The dizzy spells and blinding headache that accompanied them were possibly attributable to a brain tumour, I decided, further evidence that self-diagnosing on the internet in the middle of the night is also not a good idea. Several days of misery passed. At one point, I had visions of BH returning to find a small dehydrated heap at the bottom of the stairs. Thankfully I have now recovered, and the PINK SOFA has withdrawn its offer of being buried with me in case I fancied a sit-down in the afterlife. We march on.

As does Badgergate, which is taking an interesting turn. Regular readers will know that one of our local Tory councillors recently made the unfortunate remark to me in public that if there were any badgers on the allotment land the council has earmarked for development, he'd go and personally put down cyanide. Subsequently, another of his colleagues tried to 'buy' my compliance in a council meeting by saying that if I'd be more ''co-operative'' in my ''attitude'' he'd make sure the development would be ''sustainable'. Enough already, so I decided to out both men in the local press.

Councillor A - he of the badger-poisoning persuasion, immediately wrote to refute my remarks, declaring that he loved wildlife, but added the rather telling rider that: 'If I did use the word cyanide in the context of badgers, it was purely a connotation, not in any way versed as a threat.' (Quote). Hmm. Upon such small statements do whole career empires topple. One is reminded of Clinton's elliptical:  'I did not have sex with that woman'.

I am baffled though: given the laws of libel, why on earth would I deliberately misquote someone in a letter to a newspaper? How stupid do they think I am? So a further letter of clarification wings its way, reiterating the validity of my original letter. Which may draw forth other correspondents on both sides with further reflections. Meanwhile the council has refused to comply with my latest FOI request to find out what they are up to behind the scenes. Go figure.

I am currently up for Blogger of the Year: If you would like to vote for me (or any of the other bloggers) please go to:

24 comments:

  1. Hope your splodges have gone Carol and you're feeling better now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, CC, in saying thank you, I have to point out that you now hold the record for the fastest comment posted!

      Delete
  2. Haha. Entertaining blog, as always. I'm sorry you had to suffer so much to provide the raw (and itchy) material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TX. No fun. Never mind, onward through the fog....

      Delete
  3. How horrible Carol itching at night is a nightmare. I hope you're okay now,you'll be glad to see hubby back home again.
    I laughed when you said you had went to the press,you a certainly a thorn in their sides. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proof, as ever, that they can't keep a good woman down - rash or not ... Do hope that's better xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm coming out in itchy spots in sympathy! How awful for you, Carol. Those dizzy spells really rang bells with me though. I've been suffering from dizziness for months. Hmm. Wonder if we're in tune here... Anyhow, very very glad you are better now, and don't let those b's at the council get one over on our dauntless Carolstar! You will back them into the corner of the field one of these days, I know it!! Just tell us if there's something to be shared in Social Media for a wider public view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Dunno what the dizziness is. I get it when turning over in bed...you?

      Delete
  6. I'm most glad you're feeling better...it was a lonely time for my personage wandering the turbulent and twisted tracks of twitter without your quirky and disturbing self to accompany me! Thinking on though, regarding Badgergate, it's a pity you couldn't have rubbed your rash over the offending would be badger poisoner!...( not quite sure how you'd have managed that but it would have made another great blog post eh? )...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...the oldies are just waiting for him to show his face...Pauline, who claimes to be a witch, as got 5 sorts of Hell laid on. And sandwiches.

      Delete
  7. Itchy blotches! Yuk! They can definitely be due to stress though (written from experience) and I hope they're receding now. And as for the badger-gate incident. Well done you! I'm proud of your ability to keep fighting even when you think you're about to be reduced to the contents of an urn. Go Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I'd have my ashes taken down to the council chambers and tipped all over the table!

      Delete
  8. The letters page in your local paper must be such fun, Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is ..there are a couple of others who pile in too.

      Delete
  9. 'We shall overcome...' boils and itching and local councilors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post as usual Carol, hope rash has beaten a retreat. Something those politicians should have done already. Don't they know who they are dealing with?
    I have the dizzziness too, doc thinks its vertigo but prescribed pills made it worse...go figure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of ''femmes d'un certain age' - incl me report this dizziness. I think we need more prosecco. And cake. Won't make it go away, but at least we'll be less bothered about it!

      Delete
  11. Once again you have me chuckling into my Sunday boiled egg. Your excellent turn of phrase paints such a clear picture of meltdown moments. The Tory Nob's philosophical use of connotation (abstract meaning of intention ) is typical of a slippery tongued denial when being caught out by us plebs.
    It occurred to me 'you being a real writer and all ' that you might consider a biography along the lines of 'Betting On Hedges'. I for one would buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I loved the ToryPleb's attempt to deny it!!

      Delete
  12. I had a reaction like that once to an anti-inflammatory. I hope you are back to yourself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are feeling better-antihistamine works well with allergic reactions.
    As to the council...what can you say? They are certainly playing to type-tory misrule continues.

    ReplyDelete

So here's your chance! Talk to me. Comments will be visible after moderation.